Under the SARI/E Project, Innovative Wind Energy, Inc. was contracted to perform work development for curriculum and delivery of wind energy training in the areas of wind resource assessment, financial modelling of wind energy projects, contracts/PPA, siting of wind projects and related topics.
The objectives were to do capacity building and knowledge sharing in the area of wind energy for participants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
The set of project activities involves the following main tasks:
- Task 1: Develop curriculum and deliver training for “Supporting Wind Power Take-off in the SARI region” workshop in Colombo, Sri Lanka in September 2010.
- Task 2: Organize, develop curriculum and deliver training for “Wind power project appraisal and due diligence review for Sri Lanka financial institutions” workshop in Colombo, Sri Lanka in February 2011.
- Task 3: Organize, develop curriculum and deliver training for “Advancing Resource Assessment, Policy, Financing and Project Development” workshop in Dhaka, Bangladesh in October 2011.
Highlights of the project are:
- Developed curriculum for the workshop, with a focus on practical approaches to launching sustainable wind projects. Instructed the attendees on all aspects of wind projects: Wind Resource Assessment, economic/financial analysis, EPC/Turbine procurement contracts and other topics. Presented two case-studies related to resource assessment and feed-in tariff determination, and developed a wind energy roadmap. Consulted through preliminary meetings with deputy secretary Power ministry and BPDB, the national utility on establishment of Sustainable Energy Development Authority (SEDA).
- The Development Finance Corporation of Ceylon (DFCC), a consortium of lending institutions in Sri Lanka, and nine other financial institutions participated in the two-day workshop to train their loan officers and underwriters in the valuation of wind projects. Instructed the attendees on all aspects of wind projects: Wind Resource Assessment, economic analysis, financing, EPC/Wind Turbine contracts, turbine warranty and O&M contract, environmental impact, interconnection with utility, and others.
- Policy consulting to the highest level government officials in the areas of tariff setting, incentive models, licensing policies and necessary enablers to accelerate RE deployment.